Now that Spring is (officially) here, it’s time to clean up our social media closets!
First up is LinkedIn. The following nine steps will help you shine up your LinkedIn profile.
- Give your profile title some thought, but be honest and concise. Change “unemployed event planner” to “experienced event planner.” Potential employers appreciate honesty.
- Add a few key words to your profile title to capture what you do. Words like “Litigation,” “Blogger,” etc., give potential connections a quick snapshot of your areas of expertise.
- Upload a professional picture. Studies show that profiles with a picture get more clicks.
- Be certain you have a robust contact page. Include email addresses, Twitter handle, phone number, company website address, and a customized LinkedIn url. This makes it easy for people to reach out to you.
- Proofread, proofread, proofread. Typographical errors look unprofessional and can put you in a bad light with potential connections.
- Keep your accomplishments current. Add your recent articles, blog postings, etc., to your publications listing. Adding fresh content automatically gets promoted to your connections and keeps you in their sights.
- Give valid endorsements of others skills and expertise. You’ll get them in return.
- Provide credible and honest recommendations of your connections. They will appreciate it and may give you similar recommendations in return.
- Stay actively engaged: post and share updates, and like your connections’ updates. This will show your connections you are interested in what they are doing and that you are staying on top of the latest developments in your profession and the world.
Next up will be spring cleaning tips for improving your Twitter footprint…